With the spring quickly approaching, now is the time to begin thinking about getting your home ready to sell. Adding curb appeal never hurt anyone; in fact, by investing in a few upgrades, your home is sure to sell.
Think about it, if you do not like the way the landscaping or exterior of a home looks, the odds are slim that you want to enter the home. For me, the condition of the exterior says a lot about the interior of a house. If the outside of a home is a mess, odds are the inside of the home is the same way.
Luckily, there are relatively inexpensive upgrades you can make to your home to help increase curb appeal and chances of selling.
Five Tips for Creating Curb Appeal
1. Paint: Adding a new coat of paint or new siding goes a long way. Your home will have a face-lift and the freshness of the paint or siding is sure to attract potential buyers.
2. Update the Front Door: Since the front door is one of the focal points of a home, updating the door and the hardware will go a long way. Whether you want to add a pop of color by painting the door or change it to a custom wood door, a new front door can make a huge statement about the home. Upgrading the hardware on the door is also important. No buyer wants to see old, rusted handles and locks.
3. Landscaping: The possibilities are endless when it comes to enhancing your home’s landscaping. From trimming the trees and bushes, to adding plants and flowers, the landscape of your home can truly add value to the price of the home. Be careful though, you want to make sure the landscape has undeniable charm without giving the impression of high maintenance.
4. Outdoor Lighting: Landscape lighting not only enhances your home’s curb appeal, but it also provides safety and security. The lights can illuminate pathways or simply add accent lighting to your home.
5. Clean Out and Replace Gutters: Nothing that says, “I don’t take care of my home” like dirty, leaf filled gutters. In addition to cleaning out your gutters, if you have an old system, it might be time to replace them. Whether you choose vinyl gutter systems or the more expensive copper system, you will enhance your home’s curb appeal instantly.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Post by Corinne Kaas of Harmonizing Homes